Monday, September 15, 2008

Belated FO(s)

Yes! The mittens are done. They have been done for a couple of days. Mutti loves them, I love them, everyone loves them. The stitches looked a little wonky when they first came off the needles, but a strict blocking took care of that. I don't think I'll knit another pair of these simply because that would be a little too repetitious. Let's see how many times I can knit the same mitten before I go mad!

Stats:
Pattern: NHM #10 from Selbuvotter by Terri Shea
Yarn: Red is Louet Gems Fingering Wt., White is Gjestal Silja Sock Yarn
Needles: US 1/ 2.25 mm
Started: August 13 2008
Finished: September 9 2008

These were my second color work project (here's my first) and I like them much better - no offense, Adrian. I just didn't like carrying three colors along; two is much easier and more comfortable seeing as I only have two hands. I'm sure I could carry two colors in one hand, but I'm not really interested in trying that yet again. I love the patterning on these mittens. The palm changes about a third of the way up which is just enough to keep you interested.
I really loved knitting the check pattern. It was a nice rhythm: complicated back of hand, simple palm - really keeps things moving along. I was surprised at how quickly I finished them. The second mitten only lagged a bit at the end because I had to pick up and knit the thumb. I get sidetracked easily. The only mods I made were using a larger needle and changing the date and initials*. I couldn't see Mutti wearing a pair of mittens with someone else's initials on them. On the other hand, everyone knows how old she is now (not that old).
old enough for glasses

Speaking of mittens, I've finished another project: a tea mitten! It was a very quick knit and a very enjoyable one. It's based on this pattern, but since I didn't actually use the pattern I'm not handing out any credit. I just made it up as I went along and, if I may say so, it fits very well. The button band was a bit snug, but I only used a single yo for each buttonhole so the buttons aren't going anywhere. I've had the yarn for a year or so and didn't know what to do with it. Alpaca always scratches me so I couldn't use it for a garment... at least, not a garment for me. It is a lovely yarn to work with though. Very silky. And I love the color. I'm not normally a lover of yellow, but this color just sings to me. More pictures here.
Stats:
Yarn: Honey Lane Farms 100% Alpaca, color: lemon chiffon
Needles: Us 4/ 3.5 mm
Started: September 3
Finished: September 4
See? Pretty quick.

Other things you missed since the last post:

homemade bread

lawn mowing (ooo...)

finished hand spun yarn

Stats:
Undyed Shetland Wool from Hello Yarn, dyed by me. I'm calling this Arctic Spring
Spun into a fine single then navajo plied.
Total yards/ounces: 479.23yds/ 2.8oz
I'm becoming much happier with my hand spun. I've been getting anywhere from 160-170 yards per ounce without the finished yarn looking unknittably thin. I'm far from being a spinning expert, but I think I'm beginning to spin more woolen than before. It helps that this yarn bloomed a little bit with the washing. It will knit up nicely on US 1/ 2.25mm needles. I'm thinking about gifting this. Not sure though.
the stormy seas of hand spun

This yarn has been given the Sheep of Approval.

*If anyone is knitting these mittens and would like to use the J or the B (or needs the 5 or the 7) send me and email and I'll send you the charts I created.

5 comments:

cosymakes said...

beautiful mittens! and the handspun looks near perfect :) i love shetland sooo much.

Zonda said...

Love those mitts!! The tea cozy is nice and well that handspun is gorgeous!!

allisonmariecat said...

You have got to start posting more often, so I don't have 15 things to comment on all at once :)

The mitts are gorgeous. Dumb question, I once knit a sweater (a man's XL, no less) only to have the red bleed during blocking, making for not-very-manly pink and red stripes--did you test for colorfastness, or did you pre-wash, or do you do something magical to prevent that?

Love the handspun, and I adore the Sheep of Approval.

Ooh! Tea Mitten! So freaking cute.

Mmmm...bread. It's been too long since I've baked bread.

D.J. said...

The seagulls in Finding Nemo said it best: mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine.

You know what I'm talking about!

Thank you, you crazy USPSing fool!

Just because you've paid me off, that doesn't mean I'm going to let you insinuate that you had anything to do with lawn mowing (other than photography). Silly girl, I know you were knitting and spinning and gabbing on the phone. Nice try, though. I'm telling your mommy.

BTW, are those little homemade breads buns? They are very cute.

Liz said...

OMG, I love the mittens. I just hopped over from the yarn harlot's site. The bread looks delish-and I just finished dinner!