Monday, May 19, 2008

FO: Quant-ish

Knitting is a mean tease. Months can pass without any sign of a finished project then all of a sudden 3 or 4 finished projects jump out. Finished in bundles. First it my aunt's socks, now Quant, next will be BSJ #3. Why is that? Maybe it's because we knitters have bouts of start-itis and begin many projects at the same time. I didn't start any of these projects at the same time though. I think I just spent more time working on the simple projects. Kind of like getting the simple chores finished first so you can spend more time and effort on the difficult chores. Not that knitting is a chore. Quite the opposite. Anti-chores.
I finished Quant last night this morning at 2:30am. I was going to turn in and finish it after a good nights sleep, but I only had one tier, the top triangles, and the decreasing to knit so I plowed through. One thing led to another and I found myself washing and blocking, too. I stopped myself before I pulled out the buttons. That's definitely a daylight job.
Specs:
Pattern: Quant by Star Athena
Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock, colorway: 182
Needles: US 2 (3.00mm)
Start date: April 12 2008
Finished: May 18 2008
Pattern modifications: Ditched the I-cord tie and knit a buttonhole on one side. I had a feeling the tie tickling the back of my neck would drive me nuts. Also fiddled with the st count and the width of the squares.
I'm really really happy with it. I knit it smaller than the circumference of my head by quite a bit so it will stay put while I headbang. My head circumference is 21" and the length of Quant is 13 or 14". Entrelac is pretty stretchy so it's not cutting off any circulation (not that you'd notice). The squares are 8 sts wide and the headband is 3 squares wide, plus side triangles (call it four). If I knit another one, which I might, I'll knit it two squares wide. This one is great for holding hair back and when winter rolls around again it will more than cover my ears. Maybe I'll use it to knit a feather and fan scarf like the one I saw at Linda's Knit & Stitch.
I was very surprised at how little yarn it used. It took less than a third of a ball of Noro Sock. Less than a third! Madness! Mutti said she wants to learn how to knit entrelac so I was going to give the leftover ball to her, but she won't take it because she says I'll regret giving it away. She may be onto something there. I'd hate to be an indian giver. More headband pr0n:

and pose... and pose...

I found a very appropriate button this morning. A lock. Entrelac. Get it? Har har har. I just crack myself up.

6 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

Well, if you're a dork for making the lock/entrelac joke, then I'm an even bigger one for laughing, because you cracked me up, too!

Oh, I just love this. If I thought I could handle entrelac and weren't on a yarn diet, I would totally make one to keep my bangs from getting in my eyes. I let my hairdresser give me bangs again because she really likes me in bangs, except with Lilah I have approximately 14 seconds to style my hair in the morning (this consists of getting my hair damp in the sink, smoothing down the weird cowlicks, then hoping the humidity doesn't frizz it into a halo) and my bangs drive me nuts. Wasn't that a good story?]

Chris said...

It turned out so well! Gorgeous colors and it looks good on you. :)

turtlegirl76 said...

Har har indeed but perfection in the detail! Less than 1/3 of a ball? That's awesome! I love the colors in it. It looks fabulous.

Stefaneener said...

I love the joke, and I love Allison's hair story.

This is pretty and practical -- does it get too warm on your head?

chitra said...

hi nice work..

but i have trouble following the pattern so i was wondering if you could help me.

i really don't understand the intstructions for starting the base triangles. like how can i K1 and turn my work and go on?

i am so confused and can't find anything to help me.
i'm so frustrated that i'm stuck!

String Bean said...

Chitra, after you k1 ( or do whatever the row you're on says) just turn your knitting so the wrong side is facing then move onto the next instruction. Doing this creates short rows which shape your knitting. Some of the short rows in this pattern are really short. Some are only 1 stitch.