Monday, March 24, 2008

The Atheist's Easter and a bacon sandwich

This is the first time I've worked on Mutti's sock in 5 days. I thought I should post some evidence that I am indeed working on it. It needs to be finished (along with the other sock) in 7 days. I've even asked her if she would mind working on it a little here and there just to help with the load. That didn't go over well. I still have no idea how I managed to trick myself into thinking the sock was done with only 6.5" knit on the foot. Was I planning on binding her feet?
There has been spinning. I finished the last of the awful wool last week. I bought about 8 lbs of this undyed crap when I first began spinning... and I thought it was a great deal. Harumph. It'll make good mittens though; very hard-wearing. Thankfully, I have a lovely dusty brown merino/cashmere/angora blend that I reclaimed from a Goodwill sweater. It'll match the contrast color that I'll be using along with the orange/red/white. Pattern is yet to be revealed.

I also did a test spin of some undyed llama fiber from Cindy. I can't say I think much of it. The fiber feels okay, but the yarn is scratch-o-rama. It may become another cat bed for Kami seeing as she likes it so much. Cute kitty picture included.

Mutti and I went to Di's house for easter yesterday. I only celebrate easter for one reason: the chocolate. By some stroke of menstrual luck my period always arrives on or around easter so I crave chocolate like some crazy Willy Wonka stalker. She gave Mutti and I two of these cute little sheep by Lindt. Mmm.... mmm... mutton. We force-fed them jellybeans to make the meat sweeter. The bows might look cute, but they're really so they can't escape the meat factory of DOOM! Sorry, am I getting carried away? Baa-aa!

I found an ... interesting article concerning easter and atheists (two of the most compatible subjects I know of). Operation Easter Sanity? This is the kind of thing I love to read about religious fanatics, even if they're anti-religious religious fanatics. Honestly? Atheists who plan everything around 666? These are the kind of people I'd like to sit down and explain Atheism to. It's the disbelief in any deity. ANY deity, that goes for El Diablo as well, folks. If there's one thing I dislike more than bible thumpers, it's atheists who try to spread their disbelief, or in this case, their misplaced, not-so-dis disbelief. I don't believe in any god and you won't find me pushing my non-belief on someone else. Why can't everyone respect an individuals' right to believe in whatever they want to believe in? Why can't we all be happy? Why can't we all just get along?

Can we settle this over a bacon sandwich?

Edited to add disclaimer: I'd like to apologize ahead of time if I offended anyone. That isn't the aim of my rant. I hope anyone who reads this respects my right to not believe in a god just like I would respect their right to believe/not believe in a god. I even understand that there are people out there who are going to hope I burn in hell for even writing about not believing in a god and that's okay, too. Feel free to mentally burn me in hell all you want, but remember, I'm free to do the same. I'll write what I want to write on my blog, you can do the same on yours, happy day. R-E-S-P-E-C-T, people. If any Muslims read this, I apologize for offering you a bacon sandwich. We can have lamb instead (chocolate ones). Feel free to leave religiously based comments. Discussion is always fun.

2 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

Well, I will no longer be reading your blog, because you have offended my vegetarian sensibilities with your willy-nilly lamb consumption and portrayal of bacon. Oh, did you mean offense about the religion stuff? Just kidding, by the way. I was personally cracking up over here. Are these fundamentalist atheists or something? Geez, people.

Love the sock, and the cute, cute kitty. Here's an inspirational chant: You Rock! You Rock! Knit that Sock! (Can you tell I was never a cheerleader? Anyway, wishing you well on the sock project.)

Stariel said...

But you can't mentally burn people in hell if you don't believe in hell!

I think a lot of the 666 + atheist connection has more to do with satanism. Which, contrary to popular belief, has nothing to do with Satan! (Or at least the more common Anton LaVey Church of Satan version.) The term "satanism" was coined by people who were religious, which explains at least part of the reason why atheists are associated with an evil (deity?) who they do not believe in. Or at least they shouldn't believe in.

But I totally agree with your point. There is no reason why being non-religious means you have to be anti-religious.