Saturday, September 08, 2007

Stash Enhancement

Here's the bfl I finished spinning last week. It'll be perfect for socks or mittens. I got the undyed Hello Yarn roving in a Knitty swap and, my oh my, it's lovely stuff. The bfl makes nice comfort spinning. The equivalent of a plate of mashed potatoes and fried chicken.

Stats:
-395 yds total (one skein has 200, the other 195 - that's precise pre-spin weighing for you)
-approx. 20 wpi, a good sock weight. Similar in weight to CTH.
-Navajo plied. My second navajo plied yarn. It's still my favorite way to ply.
-Mainly green, turquoise, and blue, but it's got little bits of pink running throughout.

Just about everyone's favorite: Dream In Color sock yarn. This yarn is a dream. It's the fingering weight (appropriately called Smooshy Sock) in the Giant Peach colorway. I bought it at Knot Just Yarn in Burlington. This stuff is like crack and they place it right by the door, too. I'm tempted to knit this into a Swallowtail Shawl - if I can stop cuddling it.

Arucania Rancu sock yarn. Did anyone know Arucania made sock yarn? It came as a surprise to me. I bought this at Hellen's Needlework in Mount Vernon. One of the test knitters had knit it up into a beautiful, but very simple corrugated rib pattern that caught my eye. I can't wait to knit this stuff. The picture doesn't do justice to the colorway. There's no whyfor to the colors - it's a true hand paint. Splashes of any color here and there. It's a little more brown than it appears in this picture. Amazing stuff.

Louet Gems that I bought along with the Rancu. I've never seen this stuff in person before. It's heavenly soft. The color is slightly more pink than the picture. It's called Cherry Red. I have the perfect pattern in mind - a pair of gloves with a braided cable running up the center of the hand. I couldn't stop petting this.

The tea cosy I finished last week. The pattern is from Knit 2 Together. It was fun to knit and I'd make another one like a shot, but there's some much needed changes. I'd add shaping to the lower half - the bottom flares out unless it's tied down, make it larger - evidently my teapot is a giant compared to theirs, and use buttons and buttonholes in place of the ties - I added a tie to the bottom hoping to fix the flare, but all that I-cord just made the teapot harder to hold. Here's a better shot of the whole thing.

The Luxe Neck Warmer has turned into a hat. I'm currently beading it.

I've pulled out two wips that haven't seen the light of day in awhile: my Log Cabin Blanket and the V-neck Sweater from Classic Knits. The Log Cabin makes great before-bed knitting and the weather has been forcing me to finish knitting my sweater or break down and buy one. Guess which I chose.

3 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

I didn't know that Arucania made a sock yarn. That's pretty cool! It looks neat. I want some smooshy! Someday. *sigh*

Sachi said...

Seriously swooning over your handspun! Beauuuuuuutiful!

allisonmariecat said...

Gorgeous handspun. I love your tea cozy, too!

Thinking about blankets always makes me want to learn crochet since it's so much faster. But I like knitting so much, I'd rather take a year to knit a blanket!