Saturday, September 15, 2007

Day Trip - Anacortes

Mutti and I took a trip to Anacortes today. It's only about an hour drive, but I got quite a bit of knitting done. I finished the toe of my horny half-breed socks and knit another inch on my Tangled Yoke Cardigan. Yes -another wip... sort of. It's really a re-wip. I ripped out the back and partial sleeve of the V-neck sweater. (*gasp*) The horror! I decided I really didn't want to seam - can you blame me? Plus, I was reading The Opinionated Knitter. 'Nuff said. Oh and, plus, Eunny Jang is a genius.

Anyway - while we were in Anacortes we stopped at a lovely bakery called La Vie en Rose. I had a seafood pot pie (minza-manza) and a piece of baklava (yum!!) with coffee. Mutti had a chicken pot pie and joined me in some baklava and coffee. We needed warm food as it was a bit nippy. For those of you who don't know the geography - Anacortes is right near the Puget Sound so the town gets those cool water breezes. While at the bakery I completely finished my socks and slipped them on my cold tootsies. Ah... warmth!

After that we walked down to...

Ana-Cross Stitch!
Two weeks ago the store got a new owner and as you can probably guess she's changed it quite a bit. The name sounds like it would be a cross stitch shop, but it's mainly a yarn shop. It could be that or maybe it's just that yarn takes up more room than embroidery floss. While there I did what any self-respecting knitter would do when they found themselves in a new yarn shop: I sniffed up all the yarn fumes I could and I bought some yarn (duh.) After wandering around for a couple of hours I made my (wise, I think) selections:
One skein of Alpaca with a Twist by Fino which is Alpaca/Silk lace weight. It's a little more vibrant green than in this photo. Night time photos suck. This stuff is heavenly! It's so yummy, if it was human I'd do naughty things to it. Rrrooowwwll...

*ahem* The skein has 875 yards and for only $21 I think that's quite a steal.

Two balls of Maggi Knits Irish linen/Cotton blend. While in the shop all the cotton and linen was calling to me so I picked up these two lovely little balls. There was a great selection of colors for this yarn. At other yarn shops that I won't name they only have the neutral colors. Not this shop! She has bright blazing blue, honeydew green, bright pink, and some nifty variegated colors including one that I can only describe as tropical punch. She has some neutral colors, too, but I appreciate that she carries the brighter side of linen. I'm thinking of knitting these pretty girls into a Rabbit-Proof Fence scarf from the Morehouse Merino book.

Last, but not least, some New England Shetland Wool. The brown is called Sandalwood, the yellow is called Gold (a little less orange than in the picture - it's a little more dandelion-colored), and the green is called Hemlock. This stuff is scrumptious. I won't lie and say it's soft (it's not), but it's got great scrunch. A very crisp hand. Mm - lovely stuff. I'm awful at matching colors for color work so one of the girls who worked there (Diane - I remembered!) helped me choose. The green and the brown were made for each other and the yellow really brings out the yellow in the green. I'm thinking color work mittens with the brown as a background, the green as leaves, and the yellow as forsythia-shaped blooms.

I also bought nine oyster buttons for my Tangled Yoke. You can see them in this post. I browsed through the buttons for about an hour. It was a tough decision. There were quite a few candidates.

I also got some porcelain earrings in the shape of sunflowers at the Anacortes farmer's market. We stopped there briefly in the morning. I'll take a picture of them tomorrow when the light is better and when I'm wearing them. The sunflowers are about 1" in diameter. They're very bright. The woman who sold me the earrings had the cutest puppy - her name was Tilly :D . She was a bit shy, but I won her over.

After the yarn shop we went out to eat at a place called Charlie's. It was alright. The burger I had there was really good, but I may have just been so starving I'd eat anything. I knitted just about the entire time. I'm lucky it was just Mutti and I - she doesn't mind me knitting at the table. Look, Allison! I'm wearing my shrug again. I love it!

Doesn't Mutti take good pictures? She's getting much better with the camera.

I sent the winner of the Stalker Contest her prize and she received it this week. I'll post about that tomorrow.

2 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! And great yarn! I love the Alpaca With a Twist Fino. It's so soft! I have some in cream.

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, the shrug looks great on you! I'm so glad it fits.

Fun shopping! I have to actually knit so I decrease my stash so I can go yarn shopping again.