Sunday, July 22, 2007

Freeloaders and their foam balls, flutterbys, flowers, and fiber


It's been very rainy up here in the mountains and that makes all of us pretty darn lazy. I've been sleeping in much later than usual and Kami hasn't even bothered to wake me up at 3 am anymore. Sam and Sophie sleep all day (nothing new there...), for the past three days I've forgotten to do any gardening, and I haven't felt like cooking at all. If you're thinking some thing's definitely wrong, you're right. There is something wrong.

My parents are going through the motions of a divorce. My dad started it, claiming that he needed "a fling". He's been having an affair since last year. He claims that it's only been since January, but we have solid proof that it was going on last year, too. He's living with his little honey in Everett and Mom and I are still up here. We're working on finding an apartment back in Olympia so we can get through this easier, be near family, and look for work. Anyway, there you have it. Mom was a wreck for the first week, but she's getting much better after she found out some things that would not be appropriate to type here mainly because after you read them I fear you'd never read my blog again (don't think that I don't really want to type them though). My sister and I are extremely disappointed and angry at that person-who-calls-himself-our-father. The main thing is that we're getting through it. Everyone is on our side and no one is helping my dad, which is a cheering thought.

And that's all I want to say about it. I've been hearing and talking about this for the past three weeks and I'm going to scream if I have to talk about it anymore. I just thought I'd tell you so you knew what was going on... and because I'd really love it if news of his infidelity got spread all over the place. He deserves it, really.

Moving on...This picture was taken last week. Kami loves to play with these little foam balls we buy for her at the supermarket. They're squishy and they have just the right amount of bounce. A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around looking for a ball for her to play with. I looked in all the usual spots: under the bookshelves, behind the antique radio (a veritable foam ball-eater), under the couch, under beds, in her water dish... nothing. As a last resort I went into the spare room which sort of doubles as the cat room (kitty litter and food dishes are in there), laid on the floor, and did a 360 turn (it must have looked like I was slowly break dancing). This is what I saw under one of the dressers. Charming, eh? There must have been twenty or so under there - not all of them are pictured. And to think that for these past months I thought the balls were just disappearing into thin air.I finally finished my sister's Haven't A Clue Bag. I used a silk jacquard for the exterior and a new Kaffe Fassett fabric for the interior. I can't decided if the interior print reminds me of flowers or doughnuts: What do you think? Great Dixter or Homer Simpson?

I only did a little bit of dyeing this month and this is it. It's 1.5 ounces of BFL. It was un-dyed Hello Yarn roving that I got in a Knitty Board swap. This roving is really nice. I had to put it away to stop myself from fondling it all the time. I think I'll spin it into a lace weight single to keep the color repeats continuous.

I also finished spinning the Butternut Woolens merino/silk for my sister. It's 2.4 ounces and 567 yds. She says she's going to make herself a pair of Wine and Roses Mitts from IK with it.

What else am I working on? Hmm... there's the merino/angora that I dyed last year. I'm spinning the single into a fine lace weight and then I'm going to Navajo ply it. I haven't started spinning the purple and brown stuff yet.

I'm also working on the cashmere/silk yarn for my mom. I'm spinning the single into a fingering/light DK weight. It'll be a 2-ply yarn. I'm not sure what she's going to knit out of it. It all depends on the final yardage. Instead of an Andean 2-ply I'm going to do a plain ol' 2 strand 2-ply for no reason at all other than I always do an Andean ply and I get pretty sick of doing the same thing.

I've been in a little bit of a knitting slump for the past couple of days so I cast on (EEK!) for a hat for Allison's little darling, Lilah. I'm making a striped hat using left over pink yarn. I'm using Butternut Woolens angora/merino in Wild Onion, Fancy Image Yarn superwash merino in a yellow/pink var. colorway, and Atacama Alpaca in a var. light and dark pink. I'm not posting a picture until I'm finished and Allison has received the hat. It's halfway done and Very cute.

I'm off to knit and spin and persuade myself to talk a walk in the rain.

3 comments:

anna said...

What an awful thing to go through! My heart goes out to you, your sister, and especially your mom. Continue to stay strong!!!

Love that dyed roving. Spinning and Knitting have been my saving grace lately as I go thru my own trials and tribulations.

allisonmariecat said...

I am so excited about the hat! I told Lilah about it, and I think she's excited, too. Well, she said "ga goo," which for her is like, "Yippee! That's so sweet of String Bean, and she's such an awesome knitter it'll be gorgeous."

I dropped off the planet briefly to read the new Harry Potter book, and I come back to find you going through an awful time. I am SO sorry you and your family are going through this. Here's a big hug from me, and a slobbery kiss from Lilah.

allisonmariecat said...

And I forgot to respond to the rest of the post, I was so struck by the divorce talk. I love your roving. The colors are so cheery. And the bag totally makes me want to learn to sew...mmmm...doughnuts...