Saturday, April 07, 2007

Boxing Day

The Northern Cascade Mountains
Everyday is boxing day at my house lately. As you probably have already figured out, we're moving. We have a new house in the North Cascades. It seems like every time we move we're further and further away from civilisation. We've taken all the small, packable things up to the new house (a six hour drive one way) already. The movers are coming on the 13th to take our larger furniture up there for us.

I'm really going to miss this house. Our new house doesn't compare. In my mom's words, "It's a shoebox". What can I say? We've been spoiled. We will, however, be living right smack dab next to the Skagit River which is where a ton of salmon spawn every fall. It is very beautiful and quiet up there, too. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos for you.

Anyway, I've been knitting a little. I've only been working on a couple of projects: the Clementine shawl, Jaywalkers, These spiffy pulsewarmers, and the shawl I've decided to knit for my sister's wedding: Icarus.

I'm liking Icarus a lot. The chart is really easy and I find myself not even paying attention to it half the time. I only move my marker up a row to keep myself on track.

I finished the back of my V-neck sweater and made a pretty good start on a sleeve. I hope to have it completely finished by the end of summer (or the beginning of autumn). I'm going to toss a coin for the next sweater. Heads: Norwegian sweater from Dikt i masker, Tails: Treeline Cardigan.

clockwise from top right: Icarus, V-neck sweater, Jaywalkers, Clementine

Last week I made a trip to both our local yarn shops. I bought yarn for the Treeline Striped Cardigan from Canvas Works (see picture) and four skeins of hand dyed sock yarn from Fancy Image Yarn in Shelton. The sock yarn is two skeins of a pretty pale pink and two skeins of a slightly variegated purple, both superwash merino fingering weight. I have too much blue and green sock yarn and decided I needed something a little more girly. That was my equivalent of stocking up warm clothes for our new climate (cold).
Yarn for the Treeline Striped Cardigan: Manos del Uruguay in Indigo, Var. Purple, and Periwinkle and Kidsilk Haze in Deep Purple (top left). If you're looking for yarn don't look for it under those names because I just made them up.
This will be my last post for a month or so, which shouldn't be much of a difference. I'm going to finish packing up boxes, eat some yummy chocolate chip cookies, and enjoy the lovely sun Olympia is was having (79 degrees F yesterday!).
See you soon.


5 comments:

Rain said...

Where on earth are you finding the time to knit and pack! Your new location sounds stunning. Good luck with the move, hope you settle in quickly.

Kent said...

From the photo, it almost looks like your going to need 'survivalist gear' moving into the new home :)!

allisonmariecat said...

Good luck with the move. Moving is dreadful, isn't it?

Beautiful projects. I love the colors on the Jaywalkers!

snowdrop said...

Wow! I know it's a little late, but hope the move was okay! The new place sounds completely amazing...
And of course the knitting is gorgeous!

Mel said...

Hi...I came from the Forecast KAL. Your new living situation sounds amazing. To answer your question, yes,you CAN wear wool in LA but only if you live on the Westside; Santa Monica, Venice, etc. Today it was only 65 degrees!

Anyway, i am kntting for my future fantasy life in Portland, Oregon where we plan to move next year...