Monday, March 05, 2007

Sewing and Sweet Tea

Diane and I went to the Puyallup Sewing Expo on saturday. Diane quilts and does some needlework, but she didn't want to go alone, which is where I come in. There were a few knitting places there, but it was mainly quilting and sewing.


There were any number of button booths. Buttons are my downfall and after the tenth button booth or so I just had to avert my eyes and quicken pace. Surprisingly I only got three buttons. Yes, just three. A button for my sister's felted sewing needle case (whenever I finish it...) and two cat buttons for me. Remind me to take a picture of them. They're quite nice. One of the cats reminds me of Kami and the other, Sophie.

I also got sidetracked (bigtime) at the Geddes Studio booth. This woman makes gorgeous glass jewelery. I bought a shawl pin for myself (currently attached to my cardigan until I finish my shawl), and earrings for my mom, myself, and my sister. The earrings I got for my sister are gorgeous! I got her a small blue pair, but the ones I really love are larger opal-colored glass blobs. I'm going to make her wear them for her wedding. My mom's getting her earrings for her birthday on March 31st. She gets a pair of small pink ones and a pair of larger, quite decorative silver earrings. She'll also be getting a skein of STR in Henpecked, but that's other news. I think I dropped about a hundred bucks just at the Geddes Studio stall. And it doesn't even have anything to do with sewing! How evil...

Anyhoo, Diane and I found a handy blow up couch to rest on at the Seattle Yarn booth. The nice sales girl took a picture for us. It's a good one, no? Mind the large, fuzzy muppet pillow. We talked to the acting-cashier woman and she said she loves to knit the fuzzy muppets pillows for the couch. Scary, no? They had huge skeins of Manos for sale. Too bad I think it's a pile of itchy crap. Pretty colors, itchy wool. We wandered around the expo from 9:30am to 4:00pm. My feet!! It's a good thing I wore my new handknit socks. We looked at everything we possibly could, had tea, chatted to nice quilting ladies, then went home pooped. I took a well-deserved nap. There are many more pictures on Flickr. Mainly on the second page.

In other knitting news: I've started and made good progress (as opposed to bad progress on my Mermaid sock) on my Clementine Shawl. I'm using Sublime, which is appropriately named. It's merino, silk,and cashmere. MmmmMmmm... yarngasm. The stitch pattern is pretty easy to memorize once you're past the increasing. During the increasing there's a clever use of SSKs and K2TOGs. No, I'm not going to tell you. Just knit it. I almost bought the yarn in grey, but I managed to beat down the Washingtonian in me. "No grey! Grey depressing!" I also had a very nature-loving dye day yesterday. More about this tomorrow. Here's a teaser shot.
I leave you with my recipe for sweet tea. Just like the stuff down south.

String Beans' Super Simple Sweet Tea
ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
12 black tea teabags (I use 10 tetley tea bags and 2 red rose tea bags, but you can use your preferred black tea)
Approx. 1 gallon water (i.e.: 4 quarts)
1 lemon
directions:
Put the gallon of water in a pot to boil. Tie the tea bags together (or not) and place them in the pot. Boil this for approx. 10 mins.
Make a sugar syrup by combining the sugar and 1 cup of water in a small pot or saucepan over medium-low heat. It's done when the mixture is clear.
Remove the tea bags from the pot. Do not squeeze the excess tea out of them!!! This makes the tea murky looking. We want nice non-murky sweet tea. Set the tea bags aside in a bowl to cool. When cool, toss them in your compost bin or your roses.
Stir in the sugar syrup. Squeeze all the juice from the lemon into the tea. You can strain the lemon juice before you put it in the tea or you can strain the tea after you put the lemon juice in. or you can just not strain it at all. Whatever.
Let cool to room temperature, pour into a pitcher, place into refrigerator until cold. Serve with or without ice cubes.
Enjoy.

3 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Gah! Sweet tea! One of the few things I really can't do when I'm in the South. Nice recipe, though.

Sounds like a good, if foot-tough day. Can't wait to read the teasing.

Rain said...

It sounds like you had a great time.

allisonmariecat said...

Ha! Now that I'm moving to the south, I'll have to print out your recipe :) We can sit on our screened porch in rocking chairs with tall glasses!