Sunday, January 28, 2007

Madrona Fiber Haul

Warning: This post contains little or no added color.
(Top to Bottom: Superwash Merino; Merino/Yak; Bombyx Silk)
Of course it doesn't! I went to the Madrona Fiber Festival with things in mind to buy and that's exactly what I got. I behaved myself and didn't buy the two skeins of gorgeous Rainbow Lorna's Laces sock yarn (ahh!). Anyhoo, here's the haul. All spinning fiber, all undyed.

Below we have 11.5 ounces of Superwash Merino roving. This stuff was damn cheap. Every other booth I went to was selling 4 oz. superwash merino for $20. I got the 11.5 ounces for $20!! What a deal! She even gave me a few bucks off, but you didn't hear that from me.

Here we have 4 oz. of merino/yak fiber. I was petting this stuff for awhile and thinking it would make great mittens, but ya know.. I have two pairs of mittens and two more otn for me. It's going to become a scarf. Color and weight undecided as of yet. It's heavenly soft.
Ahh ..silk. Enough for a small something, maybe a pair of wristers or a cravat. I desperately wanted to get some silk hankies, but I couldn't find them anywhere! I settled for this stuff, which is not a bad compromise at all. I have to get some soda ash (sodium carbonate) in order to dye this. Swimming pool store, here I come... tomorrow.My mom bought this for herself. It's Mongolian Cashmere/Bombyx Silk, a 50/50 blend. I'll be spinning and dyeing it for her, but she gets to knit it into something for her. She says she'll be using it to knit mitts. Yummy. She was looking at Elizabeth Lavold's silk/merino yarn, but didn't really like any of the shades of pink available, so I said, "Ma, instead of settling for a color you don't really like, why not just buy some undyed fiber? You do have a spinner and dyer in the family, ya know." This is the first time she's bought herself roving even though she's not dyeing it or spinning it. :D Maybe I can convert her after all.

That's all we got. I didn't get much knitting done, but I did finish the 5-star decrease on the pink half of the lined mittens. Looks pretty good. I just have to finish the thumb on the dark blue half. I'll post pics when I'm done.

I'm going to portion out the superwash merino and dye 4 oz. of it tonight. I wanna wanna wanna! Superwash Merino socks for me. Oooh.... See ya!

Forgot to add: I saw Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, but became a little gun shy. She was chatting to the ladies at the BMFA stall. She looked tired.

4 comments:

geeyouknit said...

That's a nice looking haul. I can't wait to see what it will all be when it's dyed and knit.

Stefaneener said...

Oh, it sounds heavenly. Can't wait to see what you do. How do you deal with the toxicity of dye?

allisonmariecat said...

I can't wait to see what you turn all that white into. What a great haul!

Sachi said...

Holy moly... did I meet you? Or a better question, did I write your receipt? It's fun to find Chameleon Colorworks in the "wild". :-)