Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Blue Skies

I finished two pairs of Stockinette socks! Woo-hoo! They're for our family friends, Kris and Josh. They asked me for socks last year around august and I only got to knitting them in december! What a bad gifter I am. Anyway, they're done. I used Trekking XXL for both pairs and US 2 dpns. They have 2" of ribbing for the cuff, and a short row heel. The pink/purple variegated socks have a 5-star toe and the blue socks have a wedge toe. The little cat card there is for washing instructions and a little note (reverse side).

This is the view today. Gorgeous. It's beautiful outside! It's sort of greying up now, but it was pretty darn clear (as clear as it gets in Washington) about an hour ago. I went outside and reveled in the clear blue skies awhile. The weather keeps improving over here and I hope it continues. No sign of snow, no sign of the weather dropping below 40 degrees F, no rain (yet) ...very nice! My eucalyptyus looks like it might even come back from the dead. Wow! No pictures of it yet; it just can't handle the publicity.
I spun this yarn last week. It's raw wool - no idea what kind. It's got lots of lovely lanolin in it and I washed it lightly so I wouldn't lose much. I wish I had some Eucalan. It's fingering weight, about 200 yds, and my first handpainted yarn. I usually dye the roving and then spin it, but this is the first stuff I've dyed after spinning. I can't really capture the true color of this yarn, but this was the closest I could get. There's more pics here, here, and here. There's also a picture of it undyed here. It resembles CTH in twist, but not in feel. It's quite scratchy so I'm going to knit it into slipper socks for my dad.
A picture of Sophie-cat for your viewing pleasure. I wish I could've caught her antics on my camera. She was being a goofball before she settled down. She tried to roll over a few times and slid off.
A modified Broadstreet mitten. I knit a pair of these for my dad last year. He brought them back on sunday asking for modifications. He wanted to be able to do fiddly things while wearing the mitts and he was complaining about the baggy bind off on the fingers. I ripped back about an inch on the fingers and re-knit them with a 2x1 rib. I ripped back the whole thumb and re-knit it with a gusset for a better fit and 2x1 rib. We'll see how he likes them this weekend.
I'm not making much progress on Stariel's socks. I just re-cast on to knit the Little Shell Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. I'm sticking to this one. I previously tried the Orchid lace pattern from craftoholic, but the pattern is crooked. Oh well. I'm still spinning the blue roving for her handspun handknit socks. It'll be a very fine and even fingering weight. I can already tell. hooray!
I got a bunch of great stuff last week from JenniferElaine on Knitty Coffeeshop. You can see it here. I can't wait to start in on it, but I'm pacing myself. First come first serve. Maybe.
I actually woke up early (6.30ay-em) this morning and ate breakfast at a normal time. Must go eat lunch at a normal time.

4 comments:

Rain said...

You're really cranking stuff out at the moment. I'm in awe of your handpainting, the colour is incredibly pretty and it looks so shiny, it's stunning.

Zonda said...

Nice socks there!! But that handspun is gorgeous!! Good reknitting job there! :)

Sarah said...

Gorgeous color on that handspun! I love it!

And wow, the Trekking socks are so nice. I'm impressed with the patterning Trekking! So crisp.

allisonmariecat said...

I'll have to go back and check our past posts, but I think I'm more productive knitting-wise when you're not, and vice versa! I've been trying to finish one sock for ages, and look at all you've done!

The yarn is stunning. Your spinning just gets better and better, and it's so fun to see your progress.

Aw, cute Sophie!