Saturday, October 07, 2006

Socktoberfest Questionnaire

When did you start making socks?
2 years ago. (2003) It was probably autumn or winter; I don't remember exactly.

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself. (What more can I say?)

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was a pair of wide wale socks knit top down with Fancy Image Yarn Superwash Merino (DK weight), color: magenta, cream, and brown - think raspberry and chocolate. I wore them as often as I could for a year because I loved them so much. The heel and foot is entirely composed of darning. They are, unfortunately, no longer wearable because of this. Now they live in my handknit sock drawer. "Sock retirement" Ahh, what a life.

What would you have done differently?
Nothing.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Trekking XXL. It is SO fine to knit with. I love the colorways available, too.

Do you like to crochet your socks?(blasphemy!) or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I use dpns, all 5 of 'em.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Heel flap (half-handkerchief). I love the Eye of Partridge pattern, especially with a variegated yarn - it looks like lus. Pretty pretty.

How many pairs have you made?
Seven pairs. More on the way.

3 comments:

Stefaneener said...

You sock knitters -- what a lively bunch. I know the wonder of wearin' em, I'm just not going to knit any that fast.

Guess who harvested about 20 pounds of honey today?

allisonmariecat said...

Um...I made a pair of socks once. Wow! Seven pairs...you're a sock machine :)

B2b said...

best site