Friday, October 13, 2006

Halfway there

I finished spinning and plying half the Merino/Tussah Silk roving for my sister. My sister bought the roving, but she has no time to spin it so I'm spinning it for her because I'm such a wonderful person.

Fiber: 80% Merino wool/ 20% Tussah Silk from Butternut Woolens

Weight: The total roving is 2.4 oz, but I only have about half spun. Let's just call this skein 1.2 oz. It's a laceweight/fingering weight. (woo-hoo!)

Color: *Quitobaquito Springs- magenta, lime green, and dark blue (not quite navy). I spun the single in long lengths of color so hopefully there will be less pooling. The single is spun fairly tight for strength, bit I plied the yarn pretty loose so the color varigation in both plies would show. Okay, not that loose, but loose enough.

Ply: Navajo ply. This was my first time doing Navajo plying. I quite like it. To be honest, I only did Navajo plying because I didn't weigh the roving out equally and I didn't want there to be any singles left over.

Yardage: Approx. 112 yds. Sure, when I'm done the yardage will probably be around 224, 250 if I'm optimistic, but knit on US 6 or 7 needles in a nice open lace pattern, it'll go pretty far.

WPI: 22...that seems like a lot, doesn't it? I measured the wpi three times to make sure I wasn't going nuts or something.

This is the finest yarn I've spun so far. I can't wait to see what Di makes out of it. She said she wants to use it for a shawl which is why I spun it so fine. I just plied it today so I can give it to her when we go over there this afternoon (it's Charles' birthday).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go wash this yarn and run it through a quick spin cycle. After that it gets to stretch out on the swift for awhile. A margarita or two later it'll be all settled and ready to use.

*Sorry about the lack of pictures! I still don't have a camera. I'm hoping Santa brings me one.

6 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Yes!!! You are a wonderful person. The spinning, the spinning. . . you all make me crazy envious. Like I have time. Can't wait for a picture.

Rain said...

Ooh, you're kind. It sounds wonderful.

allisonmariecat said...

Come on, Santa! I want to see those colors :)

It sounds fantatic. I know I don't have time to start a spinning hobby, but it's so tempting when I hear about your progress.

Pig wot flies said...

I'm confused. I'm not actually a spinner and I've only just got my head around how Navajo plying works, but how do you use it to make a 2-ply?

String Bean said...

Sorry about that. It was a typo. I meant to say Navajo 3 ply. Thanks for noticing so I could fix it.

Pig wot flies said...

Ah! Thanks! :-)