Monday, August 28, 2006

Picture perfect

Thanks to everyone who wished me good luck in the previous post!

I'm turning into such a spinning and dyeing addict. I've already spun the bfl that I got from the Black Sheep Gathering and I'm currently spinning the soy silk/cashmere blend (PITA). It's only 1 ounce, but that's perfect for what I need. My sister's going to be recieving my first two (small) skeins of yarn in the form of a knitted object: Mrs. Beeton from Knitty.

I dyed the bfl with blackberries using the stick-it-in-a-pot-and-boil-it method (vinegar as a mordant). When I took the yarn out of the pot and washed it I decided it was a bit too dull so I perked up the color with one packet of cherry kool-aid. Talk about going from one extreme of natural to the other. The kool-aid dyeing turned into an extravaganza. I diluted the kool-aid powder with a quart of boiling water, soaked the yarn in warm water, then submerged it in the dye bath (can you call kool-aid-y water a dyebath?). I was walking over to the open microwave with the dish holding the soaking yarn when one of my hands slipped off the dish handle and the boiling hot, pink water and the yarn went splashing all over the kitchen floor. I had to clean most of the cupboads, the refrigerator, and the floor. What fun. To make matters even better, the bottoms of my feet had turned pink. The only good thing I got out of all that was a brighter colored yarn. It's now a pretty strawberry red.

I'm spinning the soy silk/cashmere into a laceweight single that I plan on dyeing with some more strawberry kool-aid. Hopefully I won't have a repeat performance. The bfl is a light DK weight so I'll be using that for the main part of Mrs. Beeton. The soy silk/cashmere will be used for the lacey ruffle.

Seeing as the soy silk/cashmere is the only roving I have left and I'm currently spinning it, I'm ordering more roving! I found High Prairie Fibers through Knittyboard and I was hooked immediately. Although I do love Hello Yarn's pretty roving, it's a bit too pricey for the likes of me. High Prairie Fibers is so inexpensive! 8 ounces of undyed roving for $6! Compared to some other sites that sell only 4 ounces for $12-13. Not hard to guess where I'd bite first. I'm ordering 2 1/2 pounds of undyed roving as well as some Jacquard acid dyes. I'm also getting another spindle from Spindlewood Co. I bought my first and very beloved spindle from them when I went to the Black Sheep Gathering in June and I desperately wanted another. After trying to decide between the gorgeous walnut on walnut spindle or the smaller bubinga and maple spindle (#138) I swayed myself by deciding that I needed a lighter spindle for spinning lace weight yarn. Steve is going to make me a spindle that weighs less than 1 1/2 ounces and maybe even less than an ounce. I can't wait to see it!

Not much else in the way of knitting news. I did start my Christmas knitting which means my work on the wip pile has come to a screeching halt. I'm making headway on a pair of mittens for my sister and I started a pair of dress socks (miles and miles of St. st.) for old dadums. I also have a few other Christmas gifts that are wips: three pairs of socks for my sister and a pair of man sized Broadstreet Mittens. I'm being very organized about my gift knitting this year. I have all the yarn bagged separately with it's planned pattern. It's all sitting on my empty bookshelf waiting to be knit. I haven't planned enough to drive me over the edge either. It does help that I'm allowing myself to stay up until 2 a.m. knitting gifts.

I finally got the white Silja for the Norwegian sweater in Poetry In Stitches! It's only been most of a year! Judy has been very nice about it all and I've been very patient. I have learned a lesson from all this: I'm never ordering yarn from Norway again. Never. I wanted to start the sweater very badly when I got the white in the mail, but as the white arriving and my Christmas knitting coincided, I didn't. I'll have to wait until after the holidays. This is definitely a sweater that I'll be swatching for.

A Borders bookstore opened up a week or two ago. I went there today and had a nice time sitting, reading and knitting in the cafe. I bought The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, which I've been coveting for awhile, and a new notions bag. I guess it was really meant to be a pencil bag, but whatever. It's really very charming. It's 6 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches tall. It's light blue with a thin white ticking that forms a loose diamond pattern. Inside each diamond is a different cartoon-ish animal. I can't decide if they're cute or demented. Anyway, the bag has a red zipper and red lining. It's much better than the nasty, old, el cheapo make-up bag I was using before.

I'm really very sorry for the lack of pictures, but we're between cameras right now. I just hope my descriptions did my subjects justice.

5 comments:

Rain said...

Wow, you're really organised. I know I'm going to get to December and panic.

allisonmariecat said...

Ooh, spinning and dyeing! I can't wait for pictures.

I've been knitting for the baby and ignoring my Christmas gifts. Oops.

allisonmariecat said...

Ooh, spinning and dyeing! I can't wait for pictures.

I've been knitting for the baby and ignoring my Christmas gifts. Oops.

allisonmariecat said...

Ooh, spinning and dyeing! I can't wait for pictures.

I've been knitting for the baby and ignoring my Christmas gifts. Oops.

allisonmariecat said...

Sorry for the million comments...blogger just hated me yesterday!