Thursday, June 01, 2006

Busy Little Bee

Oops-a-Daisy!

Yoohoo! Remember me? I've been really busy lately. Painting, cleaning, gardening, knitting, taking care of pets, and cooking/baking. More on that other stuff later. Let's get to the knitting.

I finally got ahold of a camera! This is the only picture of Picovoli I was able to take before someone needed the camera back. It's not the best picture, as you can see, because right when the camera went off I slipped on some moss. Beautiful, huh? The good news is: you can see the sweater. The bad news is: I'm ripping it out because a tank top knit out of alpaca is the stupidest thing I've ever knit and I don't know how I managed to convince myself it wouldn't be hot. This will be the 4th or 5th sweater I've ripped so don't mourn for me (or it). I won't. Guess what else? I ripped out Forecast, too. Why? No, I'm not a lunatic. Because I really looked at it this morning and thought: "I am never going to wear this." It's just not one of those sweaters that'd I'd wear all the time. I gave the wool to my sister and she's going to knit me a simple cardigan. She can knit a great looking, wearable sweater in less than a month without a pattern. I hate her (only a little) for it. In return I'm going to knit her a pair of socks (Jaywalkers, ugh). Not a fair deal, you say? Well, I knitted her a hat (original design) and a pair of mittens last year. We're even. I'm also knitting her purple superwash wool slippers for her birthday, unbeknownst to her, and a pair of cabled socks out of Regia Silk for Xmas. That should tip the scales a bit and she can knit me another cardigan. Oh yeah, and I just finished socks for her fiance

Charles' socks (finished!) and Di's slippers (half done!)

I'm working on the Prarie Tunic from spring 2006 IK. I'm using Dalegarn Stork in a light mint color. I call it Mint Julep. It's on pause right now while I finish knitting things for other people. I have a lot of things to knit for other people. Hats and mittens and fingerless gloves and scarves.....don't get me started. Now is the time when I start my Xmas knitting. Can't be too early, eh? You really can't.

I did start something else for myself, but it's only a small project: the Stash Bag from One Skein. I'm using a skein of Patagonia Nature Cotton in a loud orange for the bag and a skein of the B.M.F.A. Bambu (doubled) for the top and handles. It'll be my "I-don't-need-to-drag-around-my-gigundo-Lantern-Moon-Bag" bag. Perfect for socks or mittens or a hat. All of which I will be knitting this month and next month. Possibly the month after that, too.

Rowan-esque.

I was meandering around my yard a few days ago taking pictures for my letter 'J' (soon to be unveiled) and I took this picture. It screams "Rowan!" doesn't it? I can totally see some starved English model posing in the picture. It made my day. All it needs is a Clydesdale or some sheep. Voila. La Rowan. Le? Er...nevermind.

Yeah, baby! Yeah!
Some yarn pr0n. It's Fancy Image Yarn alpaca/wool worsted weight. Pretty pretty. This will be another pair of cabled mittens for me. No one else. ME. ME. ME. It's all about me.

Kami, my little laundry helper.

If only she actually did the laundry.

Okay, shall we talk about my busy busy week? Just a little bit.

My goal for this month is to finish painting the living room walls. It's a huge living room and I dare not take a picture for you because you'll have living-room-envy. It's got a ton of windows and all the alcoves and funny short walls could make the cover of Architectural Digest. I.E: a pain in the ass to paint. I've got about 1/3 of it done. I wouldn't mind painting the walls half as much if the paint I'm using wasn't the same color of the paint that's already on the walls. I get a headache from trying to figure out where I've painted and where I haven't. I'm the only one painting it, too. My family has kindly hoisted the task to my shoulders.

The roses have gone and got themselves a nice little family of worms. They're eating away at the leaves and making the roses look very sickly. I sprayed the leaves today so we'll see what happens. It's been raining a lot here. When it's not raining it's very muggy and hot. The roses love it. They look like their on crack (and sickly - don't the two go hand in hand?). It's Crazytown out there. All the plants/trees/shrubs are in one extreme or another here. Some are through for the season and look horrible and some are in their prime. Everyday I dead head another shrub. It's great fun pruning in the rain.

I gave both the dogs a bath today. Whew! That's a lot of dog to wash. At least they're clean and don't smell as bad as they did. I brushed a load of hair off of Max. I'm surprised he's not bald. There's a bitch in heat in our neighborhood so whenever Toby sneaks out he rolls in ...stuff... so he smells ...erm, lovely... for his lady friend. Gross. I don't know what it was, but it smelled wretched and it's gone now.

I'm making bread today! Hurrah! I haven't had this particular bread in a week or two. It's goes very well with a cup of tea. Yum. I may take a picture for you, just to make your mouth water.

3 comments:

Rain said...

So who was most wet - you or the dogs?

Picovoli looks really good on you. Would it not do as a winter knit?

It sounds like a good trade with your sister.

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh but Picovoli turned out so well, 'tis a shame to rip it but yeah, alpaca might not be the right choice.

There must be a lot of windows in the living room - the summer I did student painting, that was the only way we were able to see where we'd been when painting a room the same color (why? WHY?) - you get up next to the wall and look at it from an angle, with the sunlight hitting the wall. You can see it then.

allisonmariecat said...

Your picovoli is lovely, but I can see ripping it out. I call that "What were you thinking?" knitting, and I do it all the time. I get all excited about a project and completely neglect practical issues like, "Will I really wear a short-sleeved wool sweater? Really? And when exactly?"

Oh, so much work on Forecast! Sob. But if you're not going to wear it, it's probably best. I still haven't ripped out T-Twist :)