Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Gypsy Blood


My own personal Peter Rabbit fence.

I am moving. It's official now. My dad got the house in Newhalem, which is a company-owned town (owned by Seattle City Light - whom my dad works for). I'm really excited because I'm sick of Olympia! We've stayed here the longest of any other place except Blasdell, New York.

I was born and in NY and lived there for 12 years (not the city! You have no idea how often I've been asked that - no idea). We then moved to Gretna, Virginia where we lived for 1 1/2 years. I love love love the south. After that we moved to Kingman, Arizona. I hate hate hate the desert. After that we moved to a rental house in Olympia on Budd Bay. I did like living next to the water, but it got a bit smelly in the summer. After that we moved to the house we 're currently living in (not for long!) and have lived in for 5 years!

Now we're moving to a house in Newhalem that's right next to the Skagit River which is a wild, but gorgeous (and unsmelly) river. It's damn cold, too. That's glacier water, baby! My sister just removed her digital camera from the computer, but when I go up to Newhalem I can use my dad's and post pictures. It's really gorgeous up there. The closest yarn shop is in Burlington so we'll have to make them "yarn trips" instead of just "going to the yarn shop". This means buying mass amounts of yarn at once which I, naturally, have no objection to.

Toby is my sister's dog, but he'll be coming to live with us. She's moving out to live with her fiance and they both work all the time so Toby would be kenneled up a lot. I can't handle the thought of that so he's coming to stay with us until other arrangements are made that don't involve sticking him in a kennel for 12 hours straight. I'm thinking he'll be living with us permanently, which is fine by me. I'd miss my little toad. Wooshi-Wooshi.

We're moving ourselves and will probably rent-a-truck. We're getting rid of our armchairs, ottomans, and couch because we've had them for 8 years and they're crap. Does anyone want them? (heh) The dog peed on the couch, but we cleaned it and it doesn't smell anymore. The cats have clawed the sides of one of the chairs. One of the cushions on the back of the couch has been completely ripped off so it flops around a bit, but if you just desperately need furniture this stuff isn't TOO bad and we're selling the whole kit and caboodle for $40. We're also getting rid of the dining room table and all the chairs because the dog chewed up one of the table legs and the cats have used the other three for scratching posts. Anyone want a wooden scratching post for your cat?

I'm so excited! I can't wait!

I'll have my own bathroom and I get to paint the rooms and and and... my mom and I will have a room JUST FOR YARN! A ROOM JUST FOR YARN! A ROOM JUST FOR YARN! It bears saying three times. Woo-Hoo! I'm definitely taking care moving my yarn stash which has (by mysterious powers of fiber osmosis) grown out of the tupperware drawers and into two large canvas bags, a plastic tote, and the downstairs cupboards. Uhh... and my plant stand and the little plastic yarn storage bin under my nightstand. I think, before I leave for good, I need to make a run to Canvas Works and fill up on all the yarn I've needed/wanted/will probably never knit in this lifetime just in case. I'm getting at least one skein of that $21 cashmere, damnit. Here's some shell-y pictures in honor of the new Knitty. Not a lot of patterns, but they're amazing (as always). I've already printed out the patterns I want to make, eventually. Okay, in 10 years.
My favorites: Anatolia - how awesome is that slip-stitch pattern!?; Jamesey - Okay, I was looking at the model more than the sweater, but c'mon...; Exchequered - kickass kickass kickass; Nagano Sakura - beautiful and elegant looking; Convertible - I'm in love with all of Rebecca Hatcher's patterns, they're amazing. I'll be knitting this one soon, I just have to, she really rocks the bamboo; Tiny Tether - my keys, my knitting scissors, my tape measure, and my favorite pen are all screaming at me to make this...I say: "Okay"; Pedicure Socks - I've been meaning to make toe-less socks for awhile (this is Washington), but couldn't find the perfect pattern ... Voila!; Hedera - These are wondrous socks, but, alas, I didn't print them out because I have a gazillion sock patterns and a few (billion) sock books. First come, first serve. Pffft...Yeah right.Our Rufous Hummingbirds are here! They've been here for about two or three weeks, but I just recently got a picture of one at the feeder. The cats love to sit in my window, which is right above the feeder and looks out on the other feeders, and watch the hummingbirds zip back and forth. Does anyone else think they sound like mini weed-wackers? There's also a family of Swallows living in the eaves on our house.

Not much knitting news. I got a little further on my Hawaiian Leis socks, but I'm not even close to the heel. I have a few more inches - maybe three - on the first Forecast sleeve. I did start a new project, albeit a small one: the Lacy Hair Tamers from Veronik Avery. I'm knitting the headband for my unruly waves. Allison, I've got 6 skeins of Frog Tree %100 Alpaca in Lilac for the Picovoli. It's delicious yarn. Num num.

6 comments:

snowdrop said...

Nice pics! A sedate-looking hummingbird... That's pretty amazing! Congrats on your move, sounds like you'll love the change!... Me, I've always wanted to live in Halifax, NS... I miss the ocean!

Zonda said...

You aren't excited about moving are you ;) Good for you and your mom a YARN ROOM!!! The new place sounds lovely...glacier water...brrrr...Start stocking up on the yarnage!!! :))

Rain said...

Oooooooooooo a yarn room! That means you need more stash, no really, you do. You wouldn't want your yarn to feel lonely in a big room all by itself.

allisonmariecat said...

I'm so excited for you! A yarn room, your own bathroom--that's what heaven's like, right?

I'm making Exchequered for my brother-in-law for Christmas. Despite my resolution to go easy on the knitted gifts this year, this one is PERFECT for him.

I love your hummingbirds. We just get sparrows, doves, and finches, but the cats love 'em. Kitty TV right outside the window.

I can't wait to see your Picovoli...sounds divine.

allisonmariecat said...

I'm so excited for you! A yarn room, your own bathroom--that's what heaven's like, right?

I'm making Exchequered for my brother-in-law for Christmas. Despite my resolution to go easy on the knitted gifts this year, this one is PERFECT for him.

I love your hummingbirds. We just get sparrows, doves, and finches, but the cats love 'em. Kitty TV right outside the window.

I can't wait to see your Picovoli...sounds divine.

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow! So much exciting stuff in one post! You're moving! You're getting a YARN ROOM! Your own bathroom! You get to go on full out yarn trips! You're getting to keep the dog! You're knitting cool stuff! Yay!

And I never knew you had your own patterns, woman, move that on up in the queue in your sidebar and label them something like "My Free Patterns" or something. Pimp yourself freely, those are awesome patterns. You deserve it.