Monday, March 06, 2006

Tea and cookies

If there's one thing I love for breakfast, it's things you probably shouldn't eat for breakfast. Cold pizza, chocolate, or sugar cookies. Yum. Notice where Forecast isn't? I've been working on Jaywalker a lot. The pattern is really fun to do. I have about 3" done on the Forecast ribbing. I'm using aluminum circulars, too, so it's not as fun to knit anymore. I HATE ALUMINUM!!
Here's a treat for you, a simple treat, but a treat all the same.

How to make perfect cup of 'mom tea'
ingredients:
1 Red Rose Tea bag (caffeinated)
3 tsp. Silverbow honey
1 ripe lemon
notions:
8 oz. mug
silver spoon
sharp knife
Boil water, pour water, steep tea bag for 5-6 minutes.
Remove tea bag after squeezing out excess tea with a spoon and a finger (preferably the thumb).
If tea has gotten cold you make have to nuke it in the microwave for a minute.
Stir 3 teaspoons Silverbow honey into hot tea.
Squeeze lemon juice from one lemon slice into tea.
Stir well.
Drink up while it's nice and hot.
Feel better.
For a 4 cup pot of tea:
ingredients:
6 bags of Red Rose Tea
jar of honey
1 lemon
plate of nibblies
notions:
tea pot
4 or 5 mugs
silver spoons for all
1 sharp little paring knife
tea cozy or tea towel
While water is boiling, fill tea pot with hot tap water to warm it up for the tea.
Tie together 6 bags of tea.
When water has boiled empty tap water out of tea pot and fill tea pot with boiled water.
Place tied-together tea bags into tea pot.
Let steep for ten minutes while cuddled in tea cozy.
Slice lemon into 6 slices.
Get situated around a table with cookies, honey, and lemon slices (which should have been place into a small civilised bowl).
Don't forget your spoons.
Pour tea.
Let everyone do their own honey and lemon as each person likes different amounts.
Drink up.
Nibble cookies.
Chit chat.
The recipe is called mom tea because my mom always made this tea for my sisters and I. Of course, we make it ourselves now, but the name stuck. It's appropriate, too, because mom tea is the perfect cure for any fever or cold. Whenever you drink it you feel ten times better. This tea also works great for menstrual cramps (it's the caffeine). Who need icky cough medicine or midol when you have tea?

Here's where I am on Jaywalker right now. Well, I'm a little further, but not much. I'm loving this sock. I may have to do another pair. Hay-soos knows I have enough sock yarn.
Little pumpkin who stole my spot last night. That'll teach me to move. I tried to move him after and he yowled up a storm. Fine. Be that way. I thought about sitting on him, but I'm not that mean.
Did anyone else notice this warning on the back of the addi turbo circular needle case? I think it's a bit extreme. Do I qualify as a trained person? I'm not entirely sure.

5 comments:

Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady said...

I love the yarn you're using for your Jaywalkers. What is it?

I'm going to have to make a pair, they look so neat and I do have some of the most hideous self-striping sock yarn just sitting here waiting to be used.

Your kitty is a darling little thing, btw. Not that you didn't already know that, of course ;)

allisonmariecat said...

You didn't take the class for proper safety in using circular needles? You get a certificate at the end, with a business-card sized copy to carry with you everywhere. You learn important usage tips, like not poking yourself in the eye with the tip, or accidentally strangling people with the cord. Seriously, that is too funny!

I love Jaywalker, by the way. Beautiful color choice. And thank you for the tea recipe :)

Stefaneener said...

Your tea sounds like what my children ask for when they're sick.

That label has to mean that there's some lawyer behind that who has some imagination -- or maybe they're thinking of the kind of hideous 1970s-era afghans that were perpetrated. Maybe that's it?

Nice cat! I'm going to have to go back to my Jaywalkers and try again. I may (shhh) rip them and start over -- ribbing is too big and the zigzags too snug. Yours are just beautiful.

Rain said...

Your Jaywalkers look great in that yarn.

What a cute kitty, consider yourself well and truly moved out of that spot.

LaBean said...

Mom tea. Hmmm I think it's time to share the tea experience with my little girls. well, at least the oldest, she's 9. Jaywalker looks great! I know most people don't like to swatch, especially for socks, but I think Jaywalker is one pattern every sock knitter should give a shot with any yarn they choose. It's been pointed out that certain self-striping and fair-isle yarns won't look right with Jay, but some do! Like YOURS! I guess it's just a trial and error type of thing.

Little pumpkin is so awwwwwww. I wish I could have a little kitty. But can't have any pets around my sneezy wheezy kids. :(