Sunday, March 26, 2006

Stop and smell the roses

This is what I'll be doing today.

I may knit when I wake up.

This is where the dog will be
(under the hammock),
and Kami will be stealing more shells.
Yesterday I found one under the couch and one in the water bowl upstairs.
Gardening:
I planted the seeds today. More specifically, I planted: Shasta Daisies (princess variety), marjoram, flat-leaf Italian parsley, rosemary, and thyme. I'm starting them inside in those huge starter trays with covers. Nothing yet, but I'll post pictures when I see green tips. I have to re-pot a newly potted rose. I found a larger pot in the garage, so one of the soon to be 3-footers- probably Sweet Arlene - is going in the new pot.
Allison, I'm not sure what to tell you about roses. I'd hate to tell you something and have it turn out to be wrong. Instead, you may want to look through this site and see if you can find anything that would work for you and your climate. Beware of the descriptions on this site and in any gardening website or magazine. Light fragrance really means no fragrance while fragile or delicate means in about a month you'll have a dead rose. Go for disease-resistant and hardy roses as these will survive if you forget to water them occasionally and they'll survive Wisconsin winter (you may have to cover them with a burlap bag, but not much else). If you're serious about getting some roses for your porch go to your library and check out The Rose Bible by Rayford Reddell. It has a lot of information about different types of roses and it will explain winter protection much better than I can.
Everyone (you know who you are) is welcome to garden vicariously with me! The weather is warming up nicely so expect more gardening posts.
Knitting:
I did two decrease rows on the new hat. You'll have to wait for pictures and a pattern. I have one sleeve on Forecast almost done. I'm going to knit the ribbing on the arms with US 7 needles instead of US 5. After I finish the sleeves, I'm going to wash and block the sweater. If I think the ribbing on the body is still too tight, I'm going to rip the ribbing back and re-knit it on US 7 needles. It sounds insane, but I'd like Forecast to be comfortable for me, not Lana Turner.
I did one more repeat on Clapotis. I'm short on yarn. I need about 6 more balls of Reynold's Odyssey in dark blue. Every time I go to Canvasworks they only have one or two balls of the color I need! Like I'd really buy more than two at a time for $10.95 a ball. For now I'll have to be happy with the one un-touched ball I have.
I've been thinking about making a quilt. Guess who inspired me? I have a ton of fabric I could use. I'm just waiting for doomsday, maybe. Does anyone else have tips/hints/advice on piecework?
Rain, I looked at The Freakshow of Pipingrad. I love it! It's not as classy as Edward Gorey, but just as side-splitting, literally. If anyone hasn't seen it, go look!
I was reading back through this post and I'm still wondering if anyone really wants to start a Crazy Knitting Cat Ladies ring (or those words in some order). How bout it? I have no idea how to go about starting a ring, but if someone was willing to take care of the technical bits, I'd be happy to join (er, grace you all with my presence).
I leave you with this, which should have been my letter D for Alphabet along. I'm still thinking on F.

8 comments:

Rain said...

I love my Pipingrad, it's sad really, but I do.

Your day looks very relaxing and I wouldn't mind hopping up into my hammock for a nap. Roll on summer.

What cute pets. It's my dog that's the Klepto around here.

allisonmariecat said...

Thank you for the start on roses! I'm off to check for the book you recommended. It's probably still too cold to plant anything here for a bit. I'm very jealous of your warm, hammock-y day.

Wow, a crazy cat ladies knitting group online...that's a lot of crazy in one spot :) I'd definitely join, but I'm not up for starting the ring.

turtlegirl76 said...

I'm definitely in for the ring thing. It can't be that hard. I'll look into the details.

turtlegirl76 said...

Ok - it's done. Um. Hmm...our blog is http://kccl.blogspot.com and uh, the ringerdo thing, is um...oh yeah join here:

http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?action=addform&ring=kccl

And I'll deal with it. Once you join, I'll update the bloggy thing.

anna said...

our spring looks much greyer and colder than yours, but i have 2.5 daffodils out, a few brave windflowers, and a handful of blossom. this past weekend i discovered the beauty of the hoe, and now the garden feels a bit more welcoming, less forbidding with the weeds. your roses are beautiful, and i love kami and her shell-stealing.

Zonda said...

Wow, how I would love to be on the hammock, hanging outside! (not here though too much pollen!)
:)

snowdrop said...

Ahhh... Daffodils! Now I'll clear up my vague post a little... It's my Mom's birthday bouquet... Her birthday was last Sat., mine's upcoming Sun. the 2nd... I prefer flowers growing in the garden, too! My allergies have been going crazy, but it's worth it a little!

KnitPastis said...

Glad to know I am not the only one feeling like lounging around. You cracked me up laughing with your little feet all dangling and stuff! Finally for the last two days we had somewhat warm weather and it feels good to my bones but bad for my allergies. Love your flowers. Getting me ansey to get out there in the yard and start taking care of my beloved plants.