Tuesday, March 14, 2006

More on Forecast


The body on Forecast is done! Hurrah! The ribbing needs to be severely blocked. I may do it with knitters pins and a cork board so it won't shrink back after I've washed it. (uh, and finished it) I was going to start the button band last night, but I thought I'd better wait until I actually got the buttons. I'd be really peeved at myself if I made the buttonholes too big or too small for the buttons. I picked up the stitches on the right sleeve and knit about an inch last night.


I've been working on Jaywalker today and have got quite a bit of the cuff finished. It's about 4 or 5 inches long now. Mom is knitting Jaywalkers, too. I think I motivate her to knit things she hasn't tried before, like a different sock pattern and something that can't be called a washcloth. She just started them this morning so she's only done a few rows of the ribbing. She was complaining about having to use all 5 needles and how the size 1 needles were too small. She then proceeded to tell me she wanted to knit a pair of lace socks using triple 0 needles. I swear, she's going mad or has already gone.

Clapotis is still buried in my knit bag. I think I'll drag it out today and do a few more repeats. I am still in love with the yarn (Reynold's Odyssey). It's wonderful.

Here's a pizza recipe, mainly for Geronimo and his person, but anyone is welcome to it.

Pizza dough
Combine these ingredients in the mixer and mix on medium for 10 minutes:
- 4 c. bread flour
-1 envelope instant yeast (the regular kind will work, too, but the dough will take longer to rise)
-1 1/2 tsp. table salt
-2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
-1 1/2 c. plus 1 T. warm water

Let the dough rise for at least an hour and a half. You can also let it rise overnight, which only improves the texture and flavor (I love bacteria!!). I recommend placing two or three warm tea towels over the rising dough, especially if you live in a cooler climate. Just toss the towels in the dryer for 10 minutes or so to warm them up.
When the dough has risen, punch it a few times. You may knead it (not for more than 10 minutes), but you don't really need to. After all, what's the point of kneading it again after you've just let it get all wonderful and fluffy?
Anyway, place the dough on a lightly-floured work surface and roll or stretch it into a square or circle (depending on the pan you're using). If you didn't knead the dough (you wonderful person!) roll the dough out thinner (about 1/4" to 1/2") as the dough will rise higher when baking. You may also sprinkle the top with some polenta (that's cornmeal for all us uncultured bumpkins). Placed the rolled out sheet on/in a lightly greased pan, cover it with saran wrap that you've sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (or butter, whatever) and let it rise for a half-hour. You may also cover this with a tea towel (warmed or not) to speed rising.

Sauce and topping
-1 can tomato paste
-1 can diced tomatoes
-1 tsp. oregano
-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
-1 tsp. parsley (optional, I only use it because my family likes to see lots of little green bits under their cheese and you can easily overdo it with oregano)
- 1 lb. mozzarella, grated
-any other topping: pepperoni, anchovies, sausage, pineapple, peppers, mushrooms, olives, etc.
-2 T. melted unsalted butter

*Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

If you're using fresh herbs, dice them up and mix them with the rest of the ingredients. Spread the sauce on the sheet of dough leaving a half inch for the crust. You may not need all your sauce, use as much as you like. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the sauce. Add any other toppings you want on your pizza. With a pastry brush, cover the crust with the unsalted butter.
Place the pizza (on the pan) into the oven, on the middle rack. Bake for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit for a couple minutes so you don't burn your fingers or tongue off. Slice, serve, and enjoy. Oh, and drink it with some yummy homebrew, a pale ale will work, but dark cherry stout goes especially well.

Don't forget to feed a slice to your dog. Elsewise, he will pine for hours on the stairs.

8 comments:

Zonda said...

Wow! That is an awesome sweater! You are doing so well on it! I love the color too!

Jaywalkers are my next socks...hmmm 5 needles, yikes!

snowdrop said...

My mum complains about the five needles thing,too! She has a little fear about it, I can tell... But I keep telling her it's ok! 'Look,' I say, 'it's ok!' O well... Your sweater's looking great!

Rain said...

Oooo your forecast is looking fab and really coming on. I thought from your pics in the last post that you might be leaving the sleeves short but I can see where it is going now.

I love the green, it's a fantastic shade.

allisonmariecat said...

Geronimo says thank you! He loves pizza crust (what a weird cat).

Forecast is looking amazing. I can't wait to see the finished sweater.

nona said...

Your Forecast is turning out beautifully -- I love the color.

Stefaneener said...

That Forecast is really zooming along. I like the color (obviously) and you are just speedy on the needles! It's so inspiring.

KlutzyJenn said...

Beautiful. The Pizza sounds yummy too. I bookmarked ya... being as I am a lurker, might as well say hello. So Hi from kind of warm Orlando, Florida. HI!!

turtlegirl76 said...

Don't knock the dishcloth. Dishcloths are good. ;)


Love the way Forecast is shaping up!