Saturday, March 18, 2006

E is for Edward Gorey

I cannot remember a time when I did not love Edward Gorey's books. I love the morbid humor and monochromatic illustrations. When Mystery was still on the air, I'd watch it as often as I could. Watching that show has drawn me to silent black and white movies. Here are some excerpts from three E.G. books.
The Doubtful GuestIt was subject to fits of bewildering wrath,
during which it would hide all the towels from the bath.

The Gashleycrumb Tinies

The Utter Zoo Alphabet

Other Edward Gorey books:

-The Evil Garden

-The Gilded Bat

-The Epiplectic Bicycle

4 comments:

snowdrop said...

I love Edward Gorey, too! I used to do comic books/zines, and a lot of people liked them, but a lot of people... The first thing they'd say was," Why don't you put some colour in them? " Because i don't ! If I do, I do! Anyway, great choice for the letter E!

Rain said...

They look like my kind of book.

I think you'd like The Freakshow of Pipingrad.

www.pipingrad.com

Not as sophisticated, but funny nontheless.

allisonmariecat said...

I haven't pulled out the Edward Gorey in ages. I love his stuff!

KlutzyJenn said...

I just adore Edward Gorey's books. Your green top, looks gorgeous!!