Monday, February 27, 2006

Doing what I do best

I've decided to make a career of knitting. I'm designing a few items and I'm going to submit them to knitting magazines (and Knitty.com). I was going to take a cooking job in Newhalem, WA - that's two hours north of Seattle, which is two hours north of Olympia. I didn't want to do it so I called the guy who was going to interview me and left a message on his answering machine: "This is Christina ______ . I've decided to go in a different direction. I'm sorry if you were counting on me, but I can't force myself to do something I do not want to do. I am terribly sorry and I truly hope you find someone who is more suited to the job. Good-bye." *Click* I'm going to do the knitting thing. I'm looking around for a mannequin right now. If you have an adjustable mannequin and you don't want it, may I have it for a price? I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, it's Craigslist for me.

I just came back from Canvas Works - my lys. I got two balls of sock yarn, another skein of Mountain Colors 4/8's wool for my aunt's 3rd pair of mittens (wah!), Crystal Palace size 7 dpns, more Clover pink and blue plastic stitch markers, and Clover plastic safety pin type stitch markers. I read Marnie's blog and she liked them so much, I decided to invest the $5 and try them out. They're pretty neat.

I've been working on Forecast pretty steadily. Kim already finished the body, but she's knitting it for the Olympics. I'm taking my time. Christine is knitting pretty fast, too, but (then again) she's not doing any bobbles.
















I found buttons for Forecast at Canvas Works today, too. They're old bronzed looking art nouveau buttons with flowers on them. Beautiful. I had to have Amy order more because I need 10, they only had 4. Oh well. At the rate I'm knitting, the buttons could take 3 months and I'd still be finishing the sweater. I'll take a picture of them when I get them.

I can't wait to get the rest of the yarn for the Poetry in Stitches sweater. I'm waiting on the 317 white. Judy had to order it from Norway and the order form was in Norwegian. That had to be fun. It'll be a few more weeks. I wanna start it! I might as well finish Forecast then start my Picovoli. I'm using Frog Tree 100% alpaca for that.

Here's a well-deserved kitty picture. It was taken last year. I give you The Nap of Sam. Or perhaps The Belly of Sam.

7 comments:

Rain said...

Forecast is looking good so far, the colour's great.

KlutzyJenn said...

Awesome!! I'm so jealous. Okay... maybe I'll try a sweater or something now. You make it look so easy. Cute cat picture too!!

allisonmariecat said...

Three cheers for not taking jobs you don't want! Best of luck to you.

Forecast is lovely so far!

KlutzyJenn said...

Hey stringbean...
I just dyed, already dyed yarn. Let me know what you think it's on my knitting blog... http://klutzygirlwonderful.blogspot.com/ Thanks again for the comment on my daily life blog. Still drooling over your pictures there.

snowdrop said...

wow! that sweater is looking pretty amazing! the colour is perfect!

turtlegirl76 said...

Sam looks just like my boys! How cute!

That sweater looks like it's going to fit like a dream. Take your time, there's no clock on you. Gorgeous!

And good luck with the knitting thing! You can and WILL do it! I know it!

KnitPastis said...

Hey Stringbean, When I was growing up a few of my girlfriends nicknamed me stringbeanie especially on the days when I wore my green Luv-it or Gloria Vanderbilts jean pants. I guess they thought I looked like a skinny stringbean. I didn't mind, it was funny. I found your blog on Rain's blog when I saw you also love your bamboo needles!! That is the way to go baby. Unless you use acrylic, then it's the heavy metal needles. I might be missing where you posted the brand of yarn & color you are using for this beautiful green sweater. That green is so stunning.